Thursday, July 31, 2014

9 Things I wish I would have known before I had a child


Everyone says that having a baby changes everything in your life and they are right.  But I didn’t think it would literally change everything. I thought of a few things that I wish I would have really contemplated before having a child.  I don’t know if anyone else feels or thinks these, but this is what I have experienced:

1)      It will be very rare to get a full night of sleep for at least 6 months. When Adalynn was 7 weeks old, she slept 12 hours, 14 nights in a row!! I thought we were the lucky parents that had a good sleeper.  Then she got her shots - and she hasn’t slept through the night consistently since.  I knew I loved my sleep and never thought I could function without my 9-10 hours per night.  But, your body adjusts somehow and you keep going!

2)      You will constantly worry about your child’s safety. We leave for Hawaii in a couple of days and we are not bringing Adalynn.  Grandma’s will be taking care of her and I know they will do a great job.  But I still worry - what if she gets sick?  What if one of the grandmas get into a car accident with Addy in the back?  What if she has an allergic reaction to bug bites or something else?  There is always the constant question in the back of my mind- when should I bring her to the doctor? 

3)      You have to keep a nightly routine.  I pick Adalynn up from daycare at 5, we go for a walk, home by 5:45, try baby food by 6, play until 7, read the same 3 books until 7:15, bottle, then bed by 7:30-7:45.  After that, my husband and I can finally eat.  I totally understand how parents have pizza every night or grab something quick from Mcdonalds and eat it on the way home. 

4)      A long weekend or weekend getaway has a totally new meaning.  During the summer we have something going on every.single.weekend.  When preparing to go somewhere, it’s like having a suitcase for the day.  Diapers, food, couple of outfits, toys, blanket, stroller, etc.  If we are going somewhere, I make sure we are there for the day so it’s worth all the work of getting things together. 

5)      You will constantly compare your child to your family or friends’ child.  Whenever Adalynn reaches a milestone, I think of when my nephew did, or a friends’ child did.  I can’t help it - I just want to make sure she is developing at the rate she should - even though all babies are different. 

6)      You will want or need to be home early on the weekends.  Sunday nights are hard.  Adalynn is usually way overtired from all the activities we did over the weekend and she doesn’t usually go to bed at her normal time on the weekend nights - especially Saturday nights.  I wish I could have her to bed at the same time every night of the week - but we need a social life too.

7)      You may have a hard time balancing work, parenthood and life. It is really hard to balance all three.  The month of August is especially crazy this year - Adalynn will be at her normal daycare for like 12 days total all month. The last week in August, Adalynn will be with 3 different caretakers.  I don’t like taking off work - I have deadlines to meet, projects to complete, etc.  Adalynn is almost 7 months and some days I look at her in amazement and think of all the progress she has made over the last 2-3 months.  She is crawling, can stand on her own (using me and my husband as her jungle gym, not lifting herself to the couch, end tables etc. yet) .  I’m happy to be part of those milestones and some days I wish I could be with her all day to help her develop even more of those skills.  I could stay home - we would be fine financially, but wouldn’t be able to live the same lifestyle we do now.  But emotionally I don’t think I could do it.  I yearn for adult conversation and really enjoy feeling a sense of accomplishment.

8)      You will be bringing your child with everywhere.  If my husband is gone on a fishing/hunting trip or has softball on the weekends and he isn’t home - it’s just me and Addy.  If I want to go to Walmart I think twice about it and think “Is it really worth the time and work to bring Addy and her stuff?”   I usually end up waiting until Jerrick gets home or have him stop for me.   If I want to leave town to go shopping  I usually end up asking my mother-in-law to watch Addy because it is very difficult shopping with a baby all day. 

9)      Having a child will be the best thing that has ever happened to you. It is so easy to get discouraged when your baby won’t stop crying, won’t eat, won’t sleep, etc.  I have questioned my ability as a parent many times.  But I am also learning about myself. 
*-
Ø  I’ve learned that I don’t have near enough patience as I probably should with a crying baby.  I reach my breaking point after about 25-30 minutes of Adalynn crying and need help from Jerrick.

Ø  I don’t need to take anyone’s advice.  I gladly accept it, but (for example) I know letting Adalynn ‘cry it out’ doesn’t feel right and I will do things to prevent her from crying for long periods. 

Ø  I always put Adalynn first - doesn’t matter if I am starving, tired, whatever… her needs always come first and I never resent that.

Ø  My 3 favorite parts of the work week: When Addy sees me in the morning, her body goes wild with excitement - legs and arms flailing all over the place and a huge smile; picking her up from daycare - same reaction as the morning; and night time cuddles when she falls asleep in my arms before putting her in her crib.  Some nights I cry with her in my arms because I feel this overwhelming sense of pride and love for her.

Ø  Lastly, I have learned that no one is perfect and it’s impossible to do everything right.  You have to raise your child to know the different between right and wrong and to follow your heart with whatever feels right and pray for guidance, patience and comfort in knowing God has chosen you to take care of you little one.
Adalynn being a big girl and standing up with a little support!

No comments:

Post a Comment